Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Bad Timing Guy

So a few things recently have reiterated that I am a bad timing kind of guy. Memories from my life prove it be true.
There was that time in high school where my 6'5 girl friend beat the crap out of me in our math class because I said something to her which wasn't so funny--she was having a bad day. I got suspended for that one even though she told the principal I had done nothing wrong.
There was that time in high school where I crushed on a girl for 6 months but couldn't get the courage to tell her. When I finally did tell her, I learned she had liked me during that time too but had forced herself to move on because I never reiterated her affection--she started dating a guy a few weeks later. Ouch! I really liked her.
When I interviewed for my current job, I was told it would be a temporary position and that if I did well, I would easily be able to find a better and more lucrative position in another department within 6 months to a year. The back-up to that was if I really liked the job, they would make me a trainer for other people within 18 months. Well, 15 months from the interview, the market crash has limited advancing positions and the opportunity to become a trainer is nowhere in site because they can't afford to promote me even though my supervisors say I am ready.

These are just a few of the examples that come to mind. Though I say things all the time, at exactly the wrong time---the saying something on the bad day thing is a regular occurrence. I have blown chances with wonderful girls because I always time it wrong. I am a very punctual person who somehow always shows up late when someone or something depends on his presence. I have spoken up, slid through the stop sign, and passed out...at very bad times.

Everyone has the moment, I have the characteristic. I am the Bud Light Real Men of Genius: Bad Timing Guy.
It's tough.

and yes, there has been moments within the last few days when this has been especially bad, but it's always been true.

and for the record, I don't see this as a bad quality, typically its just an awkward or unfortunate one. Eventually I will find a moment or a person who fits this quality and makes it perfect.

Bulletproof Weeks by Matt Nathanson

No comments: