This post is my complaint of other people's complaining. And because I complain A TON, I have categorize my complaint in order to try to avoid some level hypocrisy. My annoyance is with people who always have to blame someone else for something they don't like, even if the recipient doesn't deserve the credit. Keep in mind that I come from a job where I spend too much time listening to people blame me and my organization for why the economy has imploded and for why they have lost all their money--though it actually is only a semi large amount of a completely absurd amount of money that no one actually needs.
I decided to write this post after reading one of my 'Canadian' friends' complaint about America and how it has a ridiculous health care system. First, while I understand your frustration, and I will never argue America's Government has it all together, we have a great country. A rich and powerful country, a country of freedom and of education. This is a country where more often than not a complete stranger will come to the aid of people in need. It's a very screwed up country with lots of vices, but it is one of the best places to live in the world. And, for the record, you should know this Mr. Canadian--YOU LIVE HERE!
Along those same lines are people who decided to blame my company and occasionally me personally for the lack of regulation of and protection from financial loonies--like Madoff, but more specifically ANY OF the moron brokers or advisers out there. First, my company only regulates a very small portion of the financial industry and our power or lack thereof is completely governed by a higher authority. Like every other sector of business, education, law enforcement, health care, or whatever other thing may perplex you, the power and control is spread so far over that no one person or organization can govern it or protect you from it. Know what your doing or getting involved in beforehand! The world is imperfect, and no matter what, everyone gets screwed by someone or something. Stop blaming others, especially those who really have nothing to do with it. Blame a sinful world or yourself--because for the record, your the dumbass who invested your life savings in the stock market when anyone with half a brain realizes that the stock market isn't an interest account. IT IS GAMBLING. Maybe educated gambling, but still gambling. Something which you can't control. Also, no matter how good the intentions of a broker or adviser are, their job is to get your money in order to earn a living for themselves. If they don't get your money, they don't have a job. So don't expect them to always have your best interest in mind, its just not realistic.
So GM went belly-up, and you had just invested thousands of dollars in GM stock because you had read or heard that they were pulling out of bankruptcy and you wanted to buy the stock low and sell high. HMMM, no one else thought of that--
SO, no one told you that the stock was gonna become worthless 12 hours later. OOPS. Maybe next time you should not try to sneak in for a quick buy of cheap stock. You put money into an account because you thought you could double it in 24 hours, and instead it went for broke. YIKES
So, because my company closed the stock to stop further losses, you decide to blame us for your losses. NOPE, nice try--your money was always gone. We will do what we can to help recover some of that lost gamlbe, but the fact is, your get rich quick scheme blew up in your face and now your screwed. YOUR FAULT. My NOT FOR profit company, designed solely for investor protection will do what it can to help, but don't hold your breath. Maybe this will help your remember next time that life isn't all rainbows and butterflies.
My point is, I am tired of people criticizing everyone/everything else for unfortunate or unavoidable circumstances. If you don't want to get billed for a doctor's appointment, don't go to the doctor. If you don't want to lose your money, don't invest in the stock market, try a savings account, that's-almost-guaranteed.
If you don't like something, either help fix it, or don't get involved. Either way, stop bitching about it!
By the way, if you got this far...
I just want to point out that I get paid when I spend 15 minutes listening to other people complain, but you just did it for nothing. No money, no silver lining, or lesson of significance. SUCKER AHAHAHA!
Hardly Enough by WAZ
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think the psychological principle here is the internal vs. external loci of control.
:)
I enjoyed the read.
I do think that one thing that the US could do a better job of is some basic education in personal finance being taught in schools.
Post a Comment