Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Song with a Memory

First, lets be clear. I am single, and most of the time I am very happy and relieved to be so. However, like most people, I can have times when I feel lonely or get the lonelies (which I am defining as a few brief moments of loneliness in a short period of time.)
I had some lonely-esk emotions earlier today, I thought due to seeing someone who reminded me of a girl from my past. I believed those feelings were the lonelies.

Itunes got me again.
I imagine most people have this, but I strongly attach memories to songs or artist whom I heard during those moments. Most of them are very pleasant memories or sad moments which I now think of fondly--because I love real emotion whether upbeat or not.

The Anthem by Good Charlotte is for my first girlfriend, I didn't even like the song (tho enjoy it now), I wanted to listen to DMB, but I cared so much for her, the song and memories of her dancing to it still make me smile.
If You Could Only See by Tonic was a song I had for a girl I was crazy about in high school.
The Scientist by Coldplay after my first broken heart--Quiet by John Mayer as I tried to pull myself out of it.
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd was the song that I listened to over and over as I returned from a whirlwind weekend which had me fall hard and quick for a girl.
The Luckiest by Ben Folds got me tonight, the whole album in fact brings back memories of time spent with my first college girlfriend, and moments in which I was probably the happiest. Those moments were fleeting, unfortunately, as was the relationship.
I have dozen's of these songs which bring back particular memories, sometimes they come back stronger than others. Sometimes they bring back a smile, tonight they suck me out of my normal contentment.

Fleeting is a very potent word for me.


Tonight's Song:

Forget About Me by Janove Ottesen

"But, it would only be a lie,
if I told you I do not miss her
Her eyes, and her smile,
and the words she used to whisper
But, the lord only,
knows how much I have prayed
And the lord only knows about my lonely days"

I am also posting a poem I wrote long long ago right after I broke up with the same girl whose song prompted this posting. This was the second poem I had ever written, and despite its simplicity, I still love it.

Lost Somewhere

I’m lost somewhere
I never thought it would hurt like this
Its 4 am and I’m sitting here lost in nothingness
What happened to what we had?
Why didn’t I know till now what I had?
I am lost in nothingness and it hurts so bad

I’m lost somewhere and
I can’t get you out of my mind
I have stood here for hours wondering what I did
I can’t leave what we had behind
Did this dream really have to end?
I’m lost somewhere

I kiss your lips and hold your hand
Your smile is so perfect and never fake
We're sitting, talking,
We rest our toes in sun warmed sand
And then I wake
I’m lost somewhere

Another day without you in my arms
I can’t hear myself think
And all I want to do is cry, but I can’t
This feeling that I’m left with is all I have
I just want to roll over and die

I’m lost somewhere
I’m lost somewhere without you
I’m lost without you baby
But I can’t get you back

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These tears I've cried
I've cried 1000 oceans
And if it seems
I'm floating in the darkness
Well, I can't believe that I would keep
Keep you from flying
And I would cry 1000 more
If that's what it takes
To sail you home
Sail you home
Sail you home

I'm aware what the rules are
But you know that I will run
You know that I will follow you
Over silbury hill
Through the solar field
You know that I will follow you

And if I find you
Will you still remeber
Playing at trains
Or does this litte blue ball
Just fade away
Over silbury hill
Through the solar field
You know that I will follow you
I'm aware what the rules are
But you know that I will run
You know that I will follow you

These tears I've cried
I've cried 1000 oceans
And if it seems
I'm floating in the darkness
Well I can't believe that I would keep
Keep you from flying
So I will cry 1000 more
If that's what it takes
To sail you home
Sail you home
Sail you home
Sail
Sail you home

Tori Amos "1,000 Oceans". This song has gotten me through heartache, bad days, and even worse..bad moods.