Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Random Pondering

Having recently graduated from college I have been reminded of how important it is for Christians to surround themselves with brothers and sisters in Christ. Benefits to having this close fellowship are too substantial to be written out, but two initial ones that come to my mind are the unconditional love that can be felt through these relationships in times of trial and heartache, and the joy that can be taken from knowing you're working within God's plan. Admittedly, both are selfish reasons, but for now I am okay with that.

For a significant portion of my final years at school, I miserably fooled myself into thinking that my faithless struggles were a result of my environment, which lacked the passion and joy in faith which I believed were necessary. My concerns, which I still believe to be reasonable, do not excuse my avoidance of becoming connected with the body of Christ which would have helped keep me accountable to my beliefs.

I am now finished with school, beginning a new life in a different state, again realizing that I am allowing myself to slip by alone; preventing God from working in me through the Christian brothers and sisters he had intended. I was able to leave Michigan without ever truly aligning myself with the path I believe God had intended for me; my immediate focus has now become not to let that happen again.

I am jobless, live at home with my parents, have no friends living locally, and feel about as negatively about myself as a person in my moderately depressing position can. However, I have been convinced that I left behind all that I used to excuse myself from a right relationship with Christ; so now I am going to begin to surround myself with a community of Christians, and I am again submitting myself to God, so that he may use me faithfully as a part of his divine plan.

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Hey Dan,

You still have plenty of good friends up here! We can say too for certain that you didn't mess up God's plans for you, or miss out on something he intended for you to have. God is still with you, and his plans for good never fail.

I know from experience that depression will sink you lower into bad circumstances, keeping you from changing your situation for the better. This is a specter that's out to get you. Break its back.

Find those Christians, man. And email me any time.

Peace!